Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Days 9 & 10: Space Sonata Mvt. II: The Solitude and the Space

A few months ago, my cello teacher, Karen Terbeek (who is an amazing cellist), asked me to write her a piece for cello and piano for her to perform at a recital she is playing in October of 2011. I was honored to have been asked, but I knew it would be hard to write something unless I had some inspiration. After thinking about it, I came up with a vague sci-fi story that the music would depict. As the story started to come together, I thought it would be awesome to have images and words go along with the music, so I asked my cousin Jonathan Wiley (who is an artist) and my friend Aaron Plasek (who is a poet)  if they would be interested in doing a series of drawings and poetry to be projected on a screen alongside the live music performance. They were both down, so we talked about it and came up with a full story based on my initial idea.

Without going into too much detail, it is going to be a three movement work, and today's song happens to be a rough draft of the second movement. In the video, I split the cello part into two parts, but she will be playing it as one (I just couldn't play the double notes in tune well enough together). If you like what you hear and happen to be in Denver in October, you should come see the performance of the complete work. It is going to be epic.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this one! I wish I could make it to Denver in October to see the live performance...make sure you record it! :)

    ReplyDelete